I'm an experience designer with over ten years in the industry, known for my thoroughness, care, and humour.
I fight for the users.
With a background in both computing and design, I work closely with tech, product, and other stakeholders to create successful products.
For professional enquiries, you can contact me on LinkedIn and download my abridged CV as a PDF.
- Product strategy
Identifying opportunities, interpreting business goals, working in tandem with product managers
Planning, facilitating, and analysing, particularly for evaluative studies
- Concepting and prototyping
Ideation, sketching, Figma, Axure RP, HTML & CSS
- Experience design
Information architecture, UX writing, interaction design, and a wee bit of UI design
- Communication and storytelling
Writing, public speaking, facilitating
Supporting and guiding junior designers
Lead Product Designer, TotallyMoney
July 2019 - January 2022
- Led design and product thinking across multiple product squads.
- Coached and oversaw the work of other product designers.
- Domain expert for the free credit report.
- Set a vision, titled Atomic Actions, for unifying two longstanding features into one coherent overview of credit issues, focusing on what can be done to improve.
- Led discovery, definition, and design of Credit Assistant, our headline mobile feature.
- Launched our first personalised push notifications.
- Advocated for the creation of a homebrew customer research panel and designed the sign up journey.
- Helped evolve and facilitate team practices like design critiques and research planning, notably establishing weekly customer interviews.
- Documentation champion and nerd, maintaining an industry glossary, design project databases, and templates for team practices.
Senior Experience Designer, AnalogFolk
September 2015 - September 2018
- Worked in close-knit squads with tech, production, data, the clients themselves, and other disciplines.
- Led feature planning, prototyping, and guerrilla testing of Nando’s delivery and collection service , boosting conversions by over 40%.
- Multiple projects for HSBC:
- Redesigned and oversaw user testing of key journeys in the new customer banking app, from flows to pixel-perfect prototypes.
- Overhauled the information architecture and data interface of the Global Fund Centre.
- Researched and wrote mobile interface standards and a design guide for natural language interfaces.
- Led research, user testing with children, and design for Sainsbury’s Story Studio, a stop-motion movie app for iOS and Android used to create tens of thousands of movies on Christmas Day.
- Researched fintech trends to design and build an interactive prototype of future-state mobile banking for Sainsbury’s Bank.
- Worked closely with Dulux to improve key journeys in their custom paint ordering service, Amazing Space Paint, based on detailed analytics and focus group findings.
- Led rapid prototyping training for staff at AXA PPP Healthcare.
Senior User Experience Designer, Cyber-Duck
June 2011 - August 2015
- My first professional design role, where I progressed from Junior to Senior level.
- UX designer and project manager on more than 15 client projects.
- Led the design and usability testing of mydlc, a debt management system, resulting in shorter payment plan setup times, more than double the turnover from the previous solution, and a UX UK award.
- Led the redesign and usability testing of the application process for MYJAR, a short-term loan service, increasing customer satisfaction by 10%.
- Carried out interviews, card sorting sessions, and consulting for Balfour Beatty Construction’s Playbook, a process sharing platform, which was well received by users across the USA.
- Conceived, prototyped, managed, wrote, and edited UX Companion, a user experience glossary app for iOS and Android downloaded more than 50,000 times and chosen as the Best Mobile Campaign at the UK Agency Awards 2015.
- Led a project for Countercept, a managed infosecurity service, where we created a strong new brand, collateral, and an atypical website.
Writing & Speaking
- Dark Times for Dark Patterns: Ethical Alternatives
A talk at South by South West, March 2016, with Cristina Viganò
- Dark Patterns: A Dangerous Addiction For Brands
An article for the AnalogFolk blog, March 2016
- Introduction to UX
A talk at Untangle the Web, October 2014
- Eye Tracking: What it’s for and when to use it
An article for Usability Geek, August 2014
- 10 guidelines for improving your eye tracking studies
An article for Usability Geek, August 2013
Awards & Recognition
- Epica Silver Award for Story Studio, 2017
- UK Agency Awards Best Mobile Campaign for UX Companion, 2015
- UX UK Best Transactional Experience Award for mydlc, 2014
- Horizon Interactive Silver Award for the Cyber-Duck responsive website, 2013
- Web Marketing Association Outstanding Website Award for Essex Governor Services, 2012
- Finalist in the Knight-Mozilla News Challenge, 2011
- Best End-to-End Design for Storymaker, Storyteller at the Microsoft Design Expo, 2008
Interactive Media Design BSc (Hons)
(Now known as Digital Interaction Design)
University of Dundee
2006 – 2010